Monday, October 3, 2011

The super super white galabeyas

I love the fact that the locals wear their ethnic dress everywhere they go. Even in the malls, the only place where I have really seen the locals, the Emiratis are always dressed in sparkling white galabeyas, and their traditional head gear. It’s so heartening to see them eschew a western attire (read shirt, trouser or a suit) in favour of their own national dress.

Though sometimes I feel, they probably feel a need to do this - to establish their separate ethnic identity in this melting pot of nationlities.

But I am detracting, I am amazed at how white the galabeyas are! I am so tempted to venture upto a local and ask them the secret of their galabeyas being incredibly white – almost as good as new! Have been warned not to do so, cos they might get offended, though I fail to fathom why.
Hopefully one day, when I find an affable looking chap with his family, I shall dare to accost his wife and enquire about the secret behind the white galabeyas. R’s white shirts could sure do with looking as good as the galabeyas do!

No comments:

Post a Comment