Monday, October 3, 2011

Ramadan Kareem (August 2011)

We have now moved into our own home in a beautifully landscaped part of Dubai. I have a little patch of green of my own, which unfortunately is wilting but honestly, in this heat, if it’s a choice between the garden and me, I think I win hands down, no questions asked! 50-52degrees is de rigueur, and, aha, my clothes dry faster than I can hang them out!

The sun gives me a headache (I’ve always had this silly problem, its exacerbated here), so I have decided to wear a hat no matter what anyone says, tho my cousin insists, rather uncharitably methinks, that I look like a matronly dowager from Georgette Heyer’s novels L! Well better matronly than smelling salts or asprin!
Currently have a choice between quasi- Ramadan state or house arrest, lol! Non-Muslims are also not permitted to drink or eat in public places which include cars on the road or so I have been told. (Though I suspect it seems a lot more restrictive the 1st Ramadan u're here since evryone is well intentioned about warning you, might get better next year? I live in hope, lol!)You cannot chew gum, most restaurants don’t serve food (tho some do takeaways), theatres frisk your bags for eatables and theoretically, the only public place you can quench your thirst is probably the privacy of a loo (J) if you are out! Having been in a totally relaxed Cairo, this is completely alien to me, and, an adventure in itself. But am determined to explore the city, and, given state of no drinking, no eating, might hope to lose some weight in the process!

Having said that, Dubai is an easy city to settle in, most things, once you figure how they work, come together quite well.
 P.S. R insists this losing weight thingy is like a Freudian theme running through all my conversations, lol! Ain’t gonna happen!

P.P.S. Ten more days to get my own internet connection, then shall hopefully emerge from hibernation. Till then, shall happily listen to a very dear friend remonstrate with me while I check my email J at his place.

P.P.P.S. Our stuff, I suspect, is somewhere on the high seas, still bewildered at the change of its final destination after having done the pendulum for so long!

P.P.P.P.S Wonder what Wren & Martin would have to say about so many ‘P”s in my P.S.s? J

No comments:

Post a Comment