Monday, October 3, 2011

Need to learn a new language?

Have figured need to learn a new language. When we were in Cairo or Iraq, it used to be really easy to talk in Hindi or Bengali so that domestic help, other locals would not understand you & you could have a conversation without anyone overhearing.

Dubai is a different ball game. A huge proportion of the population speaks Hindi (courtesy a large chunk of Indians settled here) including many of the locals! Was at the driving institute yesterday, trying to practice what little Arabic I picked up in Cairo, and the Arab responds me to me in Hindi J
Thought Bengali would be my saviour, but there are enough and more Bangladeshis who understand what you say, so clearly learning a new language is the need of the hour! I just feel weird that all my personal conversations are not personal anymore.

Much as I would like to learn Arabic, I figure it’s a waste in terms of local, everyday usage, cos everyone seems to speak and understand English and Hindi. And there aren’t really too many Emirati to practice it with anyways! Takes away the romance of it all, grump!

No comments:

Post a Comment