Saturday, November 5, 2011

Telephone scams

It would appear that Dubai is no different from any city in the world as far as scams go! I guess the lure of lucre is far more compelling than the fear of deportation, or, the likelihood of you being a state guest for a year or so!

Had some friends over yesterday, and when they left, was surprised to find some 10 missed calls from the same mobile number. Obviously someone had been desperately trying to get in touch with me.

When I called back, I got someone called Mohamad Kaiser who apparently was calling me from Etisalat to inform me of a Dhs 500,000 prize that I had won!


He gave me a number, asked me to check if this was my SIM card number and call him back to claim the prize. Willingly gave me his mobile number and kept repeating "my dear, please check the SIM card number my dear, and call me back my dear. You must do it quickly my dear, this is an offer from Etisalat."


Pretty sure it was a scam, decided it was time for some entertainment! I called back the mobile number, and asked him why had  I got the bonanza since I hadn't entered any sweepstakes! The guy obviously had a rehearsed script and kept repeating the same script with no deviation, no matter what I asked! :-)

Called Etisalat, and, gave them the number and the scamster's name! Hopefully Mr Kaiser will not be "my dearing" anyone for a while, but beware!!

No comments:

Post a Comment