Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sheikh Zayed Mosque

There is something to be said about mosques in the Middle East or the Levant region - there is a lot of time, effort and money spent on designing, constructing and maintaining them. Though that's true in equal measure for many churches.. and erm...temples ... and... :-)


However, I guess, in case of Islam, unlike Hinduism, much of the religion is closely linked to a mosque. I remember a Muslim friend in Cairo telling me that Muslims are enjoined to offer Salat or prayers in a congregation in a mosque, though in case of an inability to reach a mosque they can be performed anywhere. Historically, mosques have served not only as places of worship but social, political and cultural centres. In fact as I understand, in countries like Pakistan, Iran and Iraq, political subjects are regularly preached by Imams after Friday prayers, but this is entirely what I have heard from others and def not seen/heard for myself. Schools or madrasas are typically attached to large mosques etc.

So it is only natural, that a lot of thought, time, money and effort goes into their design and construction, and, I have seen some really beautiful ones in my travels across the Levant. Which is why I was very keen to see the Sheikh Zayed mosque in Abu Dhabi!

The first look as you drive upto the mosque is breathtaking, the purity of the white marble giving it a pristine ethereal look..

The building of the mosque was initiated by the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. whose final resting place is also within the mosque compound.


Women cannot enter the compound without an abaya so there is a small room by the entrance where two fairly aggressive ladies dole out the abayas. Since I was going to wear one anyways, figured I'd go the whole hog, and asked one of them to show me how to wear the headgear, much the way the other local women were wearing. She stopped for one very loooong minute, I suspect to figure if I was acting smart, then thought otherwise, imperiously beckoned me closer and twirled the headscarf around in a jiffy! The only problem was that I looked like one old Egyptian mama! Need to loose weight, desperately, grrr!

Ah, but I am deviating!

In line with everything else in Dubai / Abu Dhabi, the mosque has the "largest / biggest" adjectives replete in many aspects of its design.

Valued at $8.2 million, the carpet that covers the floor of the main prayer hall is the largest in the world containing 2.3 million knots, made in Iran and stitched together on site by artisans flown in especially for this.

The largest of the 3 chandeliers in the main prayer hall, incorporating million of Swarovski crystals, is the second largest known chandelier inside a mosque, the third largest in the world


The main dome’s outer shell measures approx 33 metres in diameter and stands at a height of 70 metres - the largest of its kind, according to the Turkey Research Centre for Islamic History and Culture.



The one thing that did take my breath away was Qibla wall containing 99 names of Allah. Scripted in Kufi calligraphy, beautifully illuminated with very subtle fibre optic lighting, I thought the wall was extremely serene. Strange thing to call a wall, but honestly, I found a lot more peace an serenity in that wall than I did in the entire mosque.



The internal walls of the mosque, esp the western ones, have delicate decorative gold-glass mosaic features...

...and honestly I loved walking over the floral designed marble in the courtyard.




The main door of the mosque I believe weighs over 2 tonnes!



I believe the design of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque has been inspired by both Mughal and Moorish mosque architecture, particularly the Badshahi Mosque in Lahore and the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca being direct influences. Unfortunately, I have not seen either, so don't really know the extent of influence.

One of the most beautiful parts of the mosque for me were the water bodies around the mosque in which the pillars are effected. I am sure at night, when the mosque is all lit up, the effect would be even more spectacular!






The mosque is beautiful in parts, very imposing and obviously a labour of some one's vision, determination and will and is spectacular in its breadth of vision architecturally. Spiritually, I am sure it is as well for those who gather here to offer prayers for they understand much better and feel much more the faith that resonates within its pristine walls...

However, somehow for me, it felt a little less spiritual than some of the other mosques that I have seen. Maybe it was the light and sound systems being set up in the courtyard of the mosque for a Red Crescent party, or maybe it was just me .. but if you are in the UAE, I think its a must see, and, I dont think my nebulous feeling should, in any way, take away from its virginal, seemingly untouched grandeur!


































3 comments:

  1. I love this mosque the most, of all the mosques I visited in Middle East & North Africa.

    Its over the top - as are most things Dubai/Abu Dhabi. But very tastefully done up and with a pervasive sense of peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the top all right, but like you said its UAE - to be expected right?

    It is beautiful but I don't know - I thought an Ibn Tulun in Cairo or even a Aya Sophia in Turkey (despite its hordes of tourists) had a greater sense of calm, peace and serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this article. Its become a fact that Dubai has all good potentials and advantages that made it deserve to obtain a high rank between the most developed countries. Dhow cruise dubai

    ReplyDelete