Monday, January 2, 2012

Route Planners

Having driven through England with immense help from AA Route Planner, have been looking round for something similar for the UAE.

I am map challenged so the GPS is a complete no-no, God alone knows I need help with directions esp when I head towards Diera, Gold Souk, Spice Souk etc - all touristy places and with friends and family over, I inevitably end up taking cabs cos I am clueless how to get there. Just the other day, wanted to drive to Mirdiff City centre to get my son to see an acrobat show - it was an unmitigated disaster! We drove to somewhere in the wilderness, I suspect to en route to one of the other Emirates, when hubby decided he was not upto a trip to Al-Ain, Fujiarah or wherever it was that I was headed!

Have googled, and googled, with some luck.

The RTA UAE website does offer something called Wojhati which is a route planner if you are planning to use public transport. A good guide, but of a limited use from my perspective unless like the early pillion riders, I do a reconnaissance trip prior to going to place. Nah, too much stress and effort.

Wojhati

While googling, came across the following aricle published by Gulf News that tells you how to use Google Maps to get round UAE.

Gulf News

I beleive Dubai (for some strange reason spelt Dubbay) is also on MapQuest .

MapQuest

Also this one was quite helpful!

Nokia Maps

I guess all of these suffer from the same problem - an everchanging route / road landscape in Dubai. A roundabout yesterday, a signal today! Roads appear and dissappear faster than you can remember routes, :-) rendering any mapping system fairly confusing. But the three above are quite useful to get a general sense of direction.

2 comments:

  1. AA Route Finder shows maps, hotels, destinations and all things which you need during traveling. AA Route finder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Souqmama.com is a one stop mother shop souq mama in dubai from top infant shops dubai. You can get infant items, for example, child store, infant boutique, strollers in dubai and infant dresses dubai with best costs.

    ReplyDelete