Sunday, March 4, 2012

What's the number please?

I am quite puzzled, intrigued, ignorant and feeling quite cheated actually! Exacerbated by the fact that I have woken up grumpy and with a headache!

Just read that RTA has started auctions for M coded 4 and 5 digit number plates.

Mohammed Abdul Kareem Nimaat, Director of RTA Vehicles Licensing "This auction promises to be exceptional as it features the debut of the ‘M' code; which is one of the most sought-after and popular codes judging by the recurrent inquiries frequently received from the public about the release of this code."                          

It appears that M is quite a popular alphabet for number plates as is "K". I understand if I wanted my car number plate to be "M" - personalised with my initials and all that jazz, but why M for the public at large? Lucky M? Dunno! Puzzled!

Plates bearing ‘K' code have also been in high demand with clearance rate posted as high as 70 per cent; which prompted RTA to consider issuing a new code. I can understand wanting easy numbers like 10000 or 55555 or your birth date or anniversary date but not sure if its fashionable /superstition or what that prompts this fascination for certain alphabets! Intrigued!

RTA website talks about "distinguished number plates" with code M. I mean its a number plate, how distinguished can it get?


Being the ultimate ignoramus, I obviously was completely unaware that you could chose your number plate - may have ended up with something far more exotic than my current one which is a nightmare to even remember with not even one number repeated and in some random order! I am perennially walking back to check the number while paying parking - clearly, am numerically challenged!


They actually hold an auction for which you need to put down a deposit of Dhs 5000, have a "file" with RTA, and bid for the number plate you want. I believe the 73rd number plate auction in October 2011, collected Dhs 21 million for coveted "distinguished" number plates with just 124 bidders across categories! J-90 got sold for Dhs 1.24 million :-( Huh?


So far so good,but why didn't they tell me about this when I got my number plate done? Then I might have had a distinguished one with my initials and the number of petunias in my garden on my number plate!


P.S. I am still trying to get the "distinguished"bit?

2 comments:

  1. Want to buy or sell stuff in Dubai? If yes then, DubiAds.com is a portal where you can have easy and free uae classifieds and you can have pick and choose between households to entertainment stuff and accessories but if we talking about dubai jobs classified if one wants to gain a reputable job in Dubai, then one can upload his/her CV and apply online, all hassle free.

    ReplyDelete